Monday, August 08, 2005

Nihongo ga wakarimasen


 It`s 4:00 in the afternoon and I`m standing on new green tatami mats on the
second floor of my Japanese apartment (yes, 2 levels!). My senses are so
overwhelmed by the countless new stimuli that all I feel is the intense heat
and humidity. Strange bugs make strange noises outside my sliding windows
and I realize I need to eat...and shower.

Earlier that day I was dressed in my best coat and tie and bowing to my new
supervisor. Unfortunately two minutes after that I was lugging
my 70 lbs. suitcase through the burning hot streets of Oita-shi (Oita City,
the capital of my prefecture) to her car so we could make the 1 hour, 10
minute trek to the little town of Ajimu, my final destination in Japan.
First impressions are important in Japan, so I was glad to be sweating all
over my dress clothes as we walked those 2 km to the parking deck.

Once in the car, we headed off through the mountains (beautiful!) and made
moderately good conversation about food, Japanese culture, and tengu (Shinto
mountain spirits). My supervisor speaks pretty good English...I speak
horrific Japanese. Our car went up hills, around narrow cliffs, through long
tunnels, and finally, BOOM, AJIMU, my new home!

First stop, the school to meet the principle and staff (at this
point I should point out that I`ve had very little rest in the 5 days I`ve
been in country). My meeting with the principle went like any routine
meeting with a Japanese principle. We bowed, he gave me his card, we chatted
a bit (with my supervisor translating), we had some green tea and a strange snack
wrapped in plastic that we didn`t actually open, he told me to do my best, I
bowed, and left.

Outside his office I was given a rusty bike that is approximately 57 years old
(but has a bell and basket!) and I was taken to my apartment just up the
street. I got help deciphering the AC remote, the washing machine controls,
and the hot water panel. I said "domo arigato" and told her I would be at
school the next morning.

So now I`m standing in a hot apartment realizing the kanji (borrowed Chinese
characters used in written Japanese) on the AC remote are more complicated
that I thought (I do know the symbols for man and woman so I go into the
correct restroom at restaurants). I`m in Japan, my journey here truly about
to begin and I have no idea what`s for dinner.

(PS - still having internet issues, so while you all can enjoy reading this, I
cannot enjoy getting any emails from you--either hotmail or gmail. Until I get something worked out, I
won`t be able to access my email in Japan)

No comments: