Monday, September 12, 2005

Lycanthropy, Feces, and a Typhoon, oh my!

First, let me assure everyone that I am still alive and well despite the typhoon that swept across Japan the other day. I got a day off from school and spent it watching the wind blow sheets of rain across the rice fields. Typhoons, or taifu in Japanese, are like baby hurricanes and here in the valley of Ajimu we are protected from harsh weather by the surrounding mountains. The little stray cat that runs around my apartment building is safe too (but I neglected my bike and found it the next morning in a rusty heap in the weeds…whatever, it still wobbles fine).

I just finished week two of teaching and things have improved since my first day. One of the most enjoyable parts of the day is when students come into the teacher's room to talk to me at my desk. They can strike—er, come, at any point in the day including lunch when I'm busy dropping noodles all over test papers. They usually come in pairs so their friend can help translate for them and visvera. Here is a brief list of conversation topics the students have presented me with in the last week:

1. Lycanthropy (you know, the mythical virus that turns one into a werewolf)
2. Sesame Street (yes, Japanese High School girls watch Sesame Street)
3. Jennifer Lopez
4. My eyelashes
5. Other words for poo (I told them feces and wished Blake/Chris/Mike
could have been here in that moment)
6. Carolina
7. Terrorists
8. Split ends

Whatever the topic, I always end up laughing...sometimes really loud and I worry that my co-sensei (co-teachers) think I'm being obnoxious. But everyone seems to enjoy the fact that I'm around.

My Japanese language skills are improving! And good thing to because I need to figure out what people are always asking me. Being the goofy foreigner means I just go around saying "What?" and then giving a thumbs up whenever a student speaks correct English.

Well it's Friday and I have a big weekend of Japan ahead of me, so let me wish you all the best. Otsukarasamadeshita!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

hey justin,

just remembered . . . remember that snake we saw at Usa shrine? Ted just found found out that it was poisonous. Good thing you didn't step on it. haha :O

kathyeffingjacobs said...

Justin - your stories are the best! Finding this blog totally just made my day. :)