Friday, January 20, 2006

Six Months of Food

To celebrate my six month mark here in Japan, I’m posting various pictures of the kinds of food I’ve been eating. For folks in Japan, enjoy these familiar images…and everyone back home, be amazed!


Sushi, my first meal and first picture in Japan (Tokyo, July 2005)


Yakitori, chicken on a stick, festival food (Ajimu, August 2005)


Japanese curry, one of Stephron's favorites (Usa, September 2005)


Anpan, sweet bean paste inside bread, my obsession in September and October (Hiroshima, September 2005)


Pretty average breakfast at a youth hostel (Osaka, December 2005)


Japanese dinner complete with raw fish and beer (Ferry ride from Beppu to Osaka, December 2005)


Okonomiyaki, meat and veggies mixed with batter to create a pancake-like thing. I made it myself (Usa, January 2006)


Takoyaki, fried octopus with mayonnaise, festival food (Ajimu, November 2005)


Shojin Ryoori, Buddhist monk food at Koyasan, vegetarian (Koyasan, December 2005)


The meal I made at my cooking class, difficult experience, the instructor kept saying "dame" to me (that means "don't") (Nakatsu, November 2005)


Dessert, made with green tea and bean paste (Usa, January 2006)


Japanese food is wonderful and one of my favorite parts about living here...that and all the ninjas I get to fight on the way to school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the hot dogs and hamburgers and french fries? OK, we understand we must take part of the Japanese culinary delights when we arrive! We will take on the challenge and experience the unknowns, but we draw the line on anything still moving!! - Love ya, Mom & Dad.

Oldmarrieds said...

Awesome post, anything with "food" in the title has my attention! I think I could eat, and mostly enjoy, all the food you posted, with one exception. I don't think I could be content with bean paste for dessert. It just can't replace chocolate in my book ;) I'll make sure mom & dad bring plenty of American food to keep them from getting grouchy. Ha!

Lisa said...

this is perhaps my favorite post yet.

;)

Anonymous said...

bounce is awesome! \o/