Sunday, July 16, 2006

Justin goes Japanese


Last Thursday at Gusto I picked chopsticks over a fork. The decision was a simple, almost trivial one…but in that moment I realized something…something exceedingly important. I realized that I’ve become Japanese.

To my friends and family back in America, I write to you today to tell you that I’ve gone over to the other side. And by “other”, I mean Japanese. After 11 months, 2 weeks in Japan, I’ve finally shed myself of rough western individualism and embraced efficient Japanese serenity.


Here’s me with my sensei. Through her guidance I've gained some skill in the Japanese language as well as learned insights into the Japanese culture.


This is me at a temple wearing a traditional yukata—this is what I wear seven days a week now.


This is Pauline (Taiwanese-American) and Lisa (Japanese-American) in their traditional yukata. Nowadays I only hang out with Japanese people or foreigners who have Asian blood in them (aren't they lovely!).


Me and Ted (Chinese-Greek-Canadian) looking oh so serious about being in our yukata.

Okay, so maybe I’m being a bit dramatic. And Pauline, Lisa, and Ted, I have nothing but love for ya’ll (please don’t report my blog to the bosses!). I’m just really hot and kind of delirious and wanted to show pictures of me in my yukata. Forgive this strange post and my tacky use of it as a vessel to display my photos. I assure everyone that I still maintain a very healthy respect for both my American heritage and my Japanese home.

3 comments:

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

o oops! i meant to edit my comment not delete it! i'm so bad at these things. neways .. . . good times good food! =D Don't kno if you're turning Japanese but the yukata def. suits you!

Joel Swagman said...

Ah, yes, I heard about your incident with your blog and your bosses. You never know what's going to get you in trouble, huh?