Wednesday, July 23, 2008

3 Years in Japan!

Today is my three year anniversary of being in Japan. On this day 3 years ago, I was arriving in Tokyo with a massive group of other foreigners and jumping head first into the world of Japan. Let’s look back at some old photos from that day…

First meal (picture is blurry to simulate how my jet-lagged eyes were seeing things in reality). I had NO IDEA what was going on in the restaurant that myself and a group of JETs stumbled into shortly after arriving in Shinjuku. I ordered this by pointing at a picture on the menu. It's some kind of sushi, but I'm not exactly sure what it’s called…haven’t eaten it since.

First view of Tokyo! A typhoon was on the way! Ominous beginnings…

First new friends. This is the opening ceremony for the new JETs and the two girls in front are Ata and Nicky (from New Zealand). We became instant friends! Seating around and behind them are a mix of other Oita-ken JETs and in the back is my dear friend, Betsy, who is a Chapel Hill alum like me. All of them are GONE…having departed from Japan over the past 2 years. Seeing this photo brings back a flood of memories.

First trash can! The loveable character Domo-kun in trashcan form…the first of many things that shouldn’t be, but unavoidably are, cute in Japan.

As I sit here today and think back on where I started from, I’m happy to say that my experiences in Japan have made me a better human being. I’ve grown up a lot over the past 3 years and become more positive, more independent, more patient, and surer of who I am and where I’m going. I also have better hair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Best wishes on your continued journey!

Anonymous said...

i'm very proud of you.

-b

Angelo said...

Better hair, indeed! AH AH! It must be all the Shiseido products!

Anonymous said...

We vividly remember taking you to the Atlanta International airport to see you off on your new adventure in Japan three years ago. Both a happy and sad day for us. We are proud of all your accomplishments.
Love always - Mom & Dad

Unknown said...

hold up, I am in the background - check out how young I look!!! Woa!

Cool to spy all the peeps that became such a huge part of my life as the time went on.. am going back to visit phil and hita at the end of Jan. Wish that you were still there - would rock!