Monday, February 02, 2009

Countdown to NYC

In less than 2 weeks I’ll be living in New York City. I have my one-way plane ticket and a place to live upon arrival. My bags are yet to be packed, but I’ve had a lot of practice doing that, so no worries.

I’m leaving the heart of the south on February 14th, Valentine’s Day. I think that’s pretty cool. If nothing else, it gives me permission to avoid the “Omg! I don’t have a sweetheart on Valentine’s Day!” drama that can arise. I’ll be too busy trying to confidently hail a cab and walk hurriedly through crowds of fashion-savvy New Yorkers.

It will be really hard to leave the south…and my family. I’ve enjoyed my time here so much…and it’s been invaluable time to reconnect with family and places that serve as my foundation. I love the south more now than ever before…and I think I had to go to Japan to be able to really appreciate the culture and charm of this part of America.

In the last 3 months I’ve eaten a lot of good food, given and received a lot of warm hugs, and watched a lot of stupid TV. I’ve cried and laugh and yelled and apologized to people who I’ll always love and been reminded of where I came from and how much potential I have to go wherever I want.

In this time of transition and change, I’m reminded of one of my favorite Tolkien poems…a few lines that seem to sum up my life at this time:

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And wither then? I cannot say.”


True dat.

2 comments:

Angelo said...

One of your best posts ever!
And NY will be awesome! I might stop by on the way to Portugal, so get ready!

Sarah said...

sooooooon!!!!