Monday, March 06, 2006

Operation Okinawa


The mission: to escape the lingering winter in Oita-ken by heading south to enjoy a fabulous weekend on the island of Okinawa.
The team: three Brits, one Aussie, one French-Canadian, a Nihonjin, and me, the American.
The equipment: flip-flops, sun screen, camera, and plasma grenades (okay, no plasma grenades…I’ve been playing a lot of Halo 2 recently).

Friday, 20:30. Our team of Special Ops ALTs touchdown in Naha airport and proceed to the rental car depot led by our Japanese lieutenant, Chie. Thanks to her months of planning and ability to speak both English and Japanese, Chie gets us through the crucial steps of obtaining two vehicles and making our way to the hotel. The trip through downtown Naha guided by the onboard navigational computer is a little stressful and serves an omen for the weekend’s driving conditions. Eventually, after a few u-turns and screams, we arrive at the four-star Hotel Grand Mer and set up base camp.

Friday, 23:00. The team needs provisions and heads out to find dinner after being turned away at the hotel bar. Fate smiles on us and we find a small Japanese place that serves chanpuru—one of the specialties of Okinawa. After an oishii (delicious) dinner of kara’age (fried chicken), sashimi (raw fish), and chanpuru (delightful mix of meat and vegetables all stir fried together), we return to the hotel for LOAQ (lights out and quiet).

Saturday, 08:30. The day starts with a warm sunrise and a wonderful American breakfast buffet. I eat three plate-fulls and smile every time I think back about the meal. First stop for the day, Shuri Castle, one of the most famous sites in Okinawa with the power of the dragon surging through its stone walls.



11:30. The team splits into two units and make plans to rendezvous later at the beach. I head out with Steph and Ben to find the Okinawa Peace Park located somewhere on the southern coast. With the help of the onboard navigational computer, we steer our vehicle south and along the way spot many US military personnel and facilities. There are also many stores and restaurants with phrases like “All American” and “American style” advertised on the outside. I feel a little disoriented, but strangely comforted by the American presence.

13:00. Okinawa Peace Park located and explored. Steph gives a bit of trash to an old Japanese lady in an incident now called “The Gomi-yage Exchange” (the deal is that shortly after Ben bought a book from this shop keeper, Steph presents her with a bit of paper that had come off his water bottle. Steph just wanted the paper thrown away, but the polite manner in which he gives the shop keeper the trash makes it look like he was giving her a little gift. The result was a look of confusion on the shop keepers face and Ben and I making fun of Steph for hours afterwards. “Gomi” is word for trash and “o-miyage” is the word for souvenir, thus “gomi-yage” is play on words for a combination of the two. Way to go, Steph!).



14:30. Lunch at A&W Diner—an “all American” establishment. The availability of root beer floats is the most remarkable thing about this fast food restaurant.

16:00. Arrival at sunset beach and rendezvous with the second unit. Our team of seven enjoys the setting sun and carefully monitors the activities of surrounding US military personnel. I experience a bit of disorientation at hearing the markedly American accents.

19:00. Dinner at one of the fabled Okinawa restaurants that serves steak. Our team enjoys one of the most delicious and satisfying dinners of the year—tender steak with baked potatoes. I lose myself in the experience.

22:00. The team returns to base camp and prepares to head out for a night on the town. We signal civilian transports—taxis—and proceed to a street lined with bars and clubs. I meet an enchanting Japanese girl from Fukuoka and execute my advanced dance moves on her. If I wasn’t so dedicated to the Corp I would consider settling down with her.

Sunday, 02:30 (maybe). What remains of the team (five of us) finds its way to an Irish Pub owned by a rather outspoken gentleman who jumps at the opportunity to tell us how much he hates America. His missing teeth are mementos from US marines who didn’t appreciate his comments on Bush. Steph and I feel unsafe and decide to return to base camp. We gather Chie and are forced to leave two men behind (Chris and Tash wanted to stay out a little longer).

06:00. Steph and I finally get to bed.

09:14. Chris and Tash return from their night and wake everyone up with laughter. The team quickly breaks camp and heads out for one last look at the beach before our departure from the island.

14:00. Our aircraft lifts off from Naha airport and heads back to Kyushu with all seven team members feeling a little tired from the adventurous weekend.



Monday, 10:00. After taking a plane, a few trains, and an automobile ride, all seven team members are back at their posts in the prefecture. My mind is full of images of the previous days and I find myself smiling every time I remember tropical Okinawa.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Isn't Okinawa magical?! There will always be a special place in my heart for the islands. =)

glad to hear you had a (literally) booty shakin' good time!

lisa =)

Anonymous said...

justin!i already miss okinawa so much...!this memory will be in my mind always...:)

Chie.

Chie said...

i got my blog,btw!
http://chiegotrice.blogspot.com/

Chris Powell said...

Cool Photos. Although the first one is.....interesting. Dont exactly know what im doing, but i have similar one like that from our Saturday night out.

Anonymous said...

21:51 EDT
The President sends his congratulations on a successful mission. Job well done. Next assignment forthcoming.
P.S. The pictures were great. Your Mom and Dad send their love.

Jen said...

Hi! I live in Hyogo prefecture and will be going to Okinawa in April. I also will be staying at the Hotel Grand Mer. How did you like it? Is it easy to get to the beach?

Anonymous said...

That takes me back to my time in Okinawa, although I wasn't on any missions of national import while I was there!
I really loved it there and I'm glad to see you had a good time too.
They have an Irish pub now? In Naha? Was the Irish guy a red-headed tall guy. I think I might know him!

Anonymous said...

You know in one of your pics there is a guy staning behind your right shoulder wearing a surgical mask??:)