Saturday, May 06, 2006

Golden Week in Korea


First, two definitions: Golden Week = a week in Japan with multiple public holidays that people often use to travel and escape their inaka towns.
Korea = an Asian country located between China and Japan that offers delicious, spicy foods and endless nightlife.

I awoke early Monday morning to a strange stillness aboard the ferry that Betsy and I had been traveling on for the previous 12 hours. Since departing Japan, my time aboard had been marked by endless swaying on the ship and I had slept in a broken series of dreams depicting dancing Buddhas. “We’ve stopped!” were the first words out of my mouth as I jumped up and saw the Korean port town of Busan outside the window.

A few hours later, after disembarking and traveling by train northward, Betsy and I found ourselves in the exciting capital city of Seoul. People were everywhere in touchy couples, chatty groups, and single individuals strutting down the street. Lights and food vendors lined the streets and dance music played from store fronts. Recognizable restaurants like Pizza Hut, Subway, Burger King, and Krispy Kreme stood side by side with delicious Korean BBQ and kimchi places and all for prices cheaper than Japan!

My week in and around Seoul was great and full of fun. Here are some pictures and captions to relay my adventure in part.


Betsy overwhelmed by the nightlife near our hostel in Hyehwa.


The Korean National Museum packed with three massive floors of history and culture…and about a ba-zillion school kids running around and screaming.


Korean BBQ: blindingly delicious and stunningly cheap!


The Seoul masses…Koreans sprinkled with foreigners from all around the western word. I was amazed at how many Koreans in the city spoke English.


Ancient Korean palace still standing after a long history of foreign invaders.


Me enjoying a FREE Krispy Kreme doughnut beneath the “hot now” sign. The slim bodies of Asia are on a course for chubbiness…but at least they’ll enjoy the sweet ride there.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Cooool. So I wanna take a trip to Brussels and Luxembourg. Would you care to join me?

Chris Powell said...

glad u had such a great time. Seems like a cool place, i definitely wanna visit there before i go home. Ill blog al my stuff about china sometime soon so be sure to check it out.

Oldmarrieds said...

Korea looks awesome! THe whole time I was reading your blog I was thinking about the "Kim's" (Lane and Mrs.) on Gilmore Girls...

Now I am craving Krispy Kreme and spicy BBQ... what a combo! Glad you had a good trip. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks and 6 days (or something close to that). YAY!

Ted Pho said...

Hmmmm...Krispy Kreme