Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Shaddix Family Rocks Kyoto


As I ran down the length of the Kansai International Airport arrival gate I had one thought going through my mind: hug mom and dad. They stood outside the customs exit waiting for their son to welcome them to Japan and a second later I was throwing off my bag and embracing them…and experiencing my first moment of speechlessness. My parents had come to Japan!

But unfortunately their luggage had not. This was only a minor bump in the road that would be rectified within about 24 hours (and thank goodness too!).

Our first stop was the train station to head off to the cultural capital of Kyoto. I kept watching them and wondering, when are they going to freak out? They look so calm and normal…

I don’t have time to write about all our adventures at the moment, but below are some pictures to enjoy. Mom and dad have been doing great and have conquered both the sqatty potty and raw fish.


Mom and dad’s first meal and first challenge: eating ramen with chopsticks! Since they hadn’t slept in about 24 hours I think their performance was pretty good.


Me outside Kiyomizudera. Rain accompanied us there.


Zen gardens at Ginkakuji. Truly moving designs set off by the gently falling rain.


Mom and dad in downtown Kyoto…some people were getting a little grumpy about finding dinner, but we managed to enjoy ourselves in the crowds.


Dragon drool for people to wash their hands in.


Priest on a bridge in Kyoto praying for those who pass by.

5 comments:

Chris Powell said...

cool, enjoy the rest of your time here with them justin. I hope they like Ajimu, although its not really the higlight of there travles, im sure, hehehe.

Talk soon

kathyeffingjacobs said...

Your parents are so cute! Yay! I'm glad they get to see your end of the world, and you get to see them, too! Happy happy.

Ted Pho said...

Your parents were victorious versus the Japanese toilet. Wow, they're light years ahead of me. See you in Kobe!

Lisa said...

hello stranger!!! where are yoU?!?! when are you coming b ack? what are u doing? i want an update! o yah, and can u bring me back a moonpie?

Ted Pho said...

Yeah dude we miss you down here. Feels like one of the posse is missing. Anyways, enjoy your well deserved time off.