Thursday, April 19, 2007

Just a regular day

Here are some interesting statistics about an average day in my life:

Number of times…
1. I hear someone say “herro” to me in a day = 75.
2. Someone looks away laughing when I respond = 72.
3. I ask someone “how are you?” = 50.
4. I’m answered with a blank stare = 25.
5. I bow in a day = 100.
6. I bow while driving my car = 20.
7. Someone helps fix my hair while I’m sitting at my desk = 5.
8. Someone calls me “cute” or “cool” in Japanese thinking I don’t understand = 7.
9. Someone asks me an inappropriate question about my personal life = 25.
10. I ignore these questions = 10.
11. I respond with “That’s private!” = 10.
12. I answer the question with the goal of increasing my “coolness level” = 5
(depends on who’s asking).
13. I get touched on the butt or crotch in a day = 10.
14. I catch someone openly staring at my crotch = 3 (more if I’m in the onsen).
15. I’m confused about what’s going on around me = 10.
16. I’m utterly lost about what’s going on around me = 5.
17. I’m struck by the beauty of the inaka = 3.
18. I’m struck by the energy of the young people around me = 10.
19. I feel at home in this place = almost always.

And here are the various names I go by in Ajimu. Different young people call me different things, but I’ve come to answer to all of them:

1. Justin
2. Jastin
3. Jasutein
4. Justini
5. George
6. Jackson
7. Steve

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rXSp8Oi6vYc&mode=related&search=

Look, someone was inspired by your film-making genius!

Jesse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jesse said...

I think this is plenty of fodder to talk about this weekend.

Anonymous said...

no Jason?

-bp

Oldmarrieds said...

I agree with Baker -

No Jason?!?

Wow.

You're now George or Steve to me. Yeah. I like that.

Also, your numbers scare me - esp. the idea of you bowing while driving!

Pauline said...

hahaha nice XD