Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Good bye

On Friday afternoon I found myself in a place I haven’t been since I first arrived in Japan. I was standing on the stage in the school gym, sweating in the heat while wearing a tie, and reading a speech I wrote in Japanese. The first time I was there I was introducing myself to the students and teachers of Ajimu High School…and this time I was saying good bye.

It’s amazing thing to stand in front of all my students and tell them how much they’ve meant to me these past two years. I was deeply touched by their applause and cheering as I walked off stage and given a bouquet of flowers. I will miss them all so much…even the ones who always slapped my butt and grabbed my crotch.


This is ESS, English Speakers Society, English club. These kids were some of the best. Man we've had some crazy times.


On Sunday I leave Ajimu and the inaka life I’ve known since arriving in Japan. Along with this farewell are the many good byes to friends who are returning to their home countries. Saying so many sayonaras is draining, but I like to think that no farewell is permanent and that somewhere alone the way, in the future, in another life, I will see these dear friends again.

This chapter in my life is coming to a close…but the story is far from over.

See you later everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Justin, sorry I am not in Ajimu to wave you off. We didn't see much of each other this last year, but you helped me so much at the start. Thank you!

Ajimu will miss you!

Good luck in Beppu and let me know how you are gettin on once in a while. I'll see you round!

-Jess

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin,
Let us know youre alive!
much love!