Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Japan Legacy


For those of you who have been reading the Jablog since its inception four years ago (yes, just recently had a 4 years anniversary! Holy cow!) you know that during my time in Japan I made a lot of wacky videos for the blog. Most of these were either moving photo montages or zany—but precious—duets with a little Shark Friend. All of these videos were uploaded to YouTube to be viewed be the masses and thus allow me to share my experiences and creativity with the world.

Most of the videos have been viewed a modest 200 times…a few of them around 700 times. But then there’s one that’s now been viewed over 8,000 times! 8, 588 times as of this morning!

What has caused this significantly disproportional number of viewings? A higher production value? A more meaningful message? Nah, the video that’s been viewed so many times is so popular because it’s vulgar, shocking, and simple…the pillars of what makes a good YouTube video.

">

“Santa and the Japanese Kancho” is truly a moving piece of video and recently a friend contacted me to let me know he found it featured on another website that clearly explains some of the…er, hardships…of teaching in Japan (check it out at: http://www.tofugu.com/2009/07/22/how-to-defend-your-butt-from-japanese-children-kancho-survival-guide/).

After all I accomplished on my 3 year journey in Japan, the most notable and lasting image of me is dressed as Santa Claus and being attacked by orphans.

I think it’s hilarious.

4 comments:

Oldmarrieds said...

THANK YOU! I really needed a laugh tonight and that did the trick. It's a pretty good legacy ;)

Oldmarrieds said...

Aaaaaaaand I just watched it 4 times in a row. My favorite parts - at 10 seconds in when the little girl falls down trying to get you and again when you say "nononono..." You endured such indignities as a teacher.

leesean said...

I love the part when Rhoda says "daijoubu."

Lisa said...

hahah awww

when i watched this again i laughed out loud and i felt my heart ache! I so miss Oita . . . those elementary school kiddies . . and you!!! :)