Sunday, March 11, 2007

I’ll eat anything! (maybe)


Japanese cuisine can include all kinds of wonderfully scary/tasty things—many of them being some sort of sea creature with its eyes still intact and looking at you. Sushi has become one of my favorite meals and after a year and a half here, I really enjoy eating raw octopus and fish eggs (and don’t forget the raw horse meat!).

This being said, there are still times when I must say DAME (that means “don’t”) to a particular food item.

For example, the other day I had a wonderful meal with some friends and included in one of the dishes was a happy little shrimp smiling up at me (see photo above). He looked like he had just come from the sea with all his antenna (is that what you call them?) still pointing out and his little eyes glistening in a dreamy gaze. My first clue that maybe this wasn’t the best thing to try is the fact that we had to ask the waiter, “How do you eat this?”

“Just pop him in your mouth,” we were told. Okay, sounds easy…let’s try!


I would come to regret this.
This is me feeling not only pain in my palette, but also in my mouth…you see, the little shrimp’s pointy bits were stabbing the insides of my cheeks and gums. It was kind of like chewing on long tooth picks.

In the end I managed to get it all down…but was left with some mouth pain and a lingering taste of shrimpy saltiness. Not the best moment of my week, but I did feel stronger for the experience.

Now, please don’t let this discourage any of you from trying the many exciting dishes Japan has to offer. The food here really is amazing and I have rarely had a bad experience (this shrimp story was an anomaly—that’s why I’m writing about it…and I just wanted to throw up an update).

3 comments:

Oldmarrieds said...

Ewwww!

Looks like you're ready to try out for Fear Factor ;)

Sarah said...

One of my friends who lived in Japan for 2 years said she ate an entire sparrow while she was there. Well it didn't have any feathers, but still... beak, legs, bones... I think her story might top your shrimp.

gross!

Anonymous said...

"Though you weren't discouraging us from eating Japanese food, I chuckled when you decided to "throw up an update." Cheers!"

ditto, earl.

-Baker