Monday, February 04, 2008

Transient Living

I just said good bye to a group of close friends…again…for the third time since I arrived in Japan. It sucks.

Living aboard has innumerable wonders that inspire, enlighten, and entertain on a daily basis…but there are also some really hard, heart-breaking trials to deal with too. Saying good bye to close friends is one the toughest.

Being a foreigner in a foreign land usually means you get to meet all kinds of other foreigners around you. And living in Beppu—the city with highest number of foreigners per capita after Tokyo—I’ve met a lot of people from all around the world. It’s not unusual to be in a group of a dozen or so folks and have a dozen or so countries represented…our house parties are like mini UN socials with accents, slang, and laughter roaring together in an international mix. BUT, these people you meet…these friends you make…are almost always destined to leave Japan after a finite amount of time. Whether it’s weeks, months of even blessed years, the bounds you form must be made to stretch across the oceans of the world because so many people have to leave and go back home.

Since I’ve been in Japan for 2 years, 4 months, and 2 days, I’ve seen a lot of people go. And it’s hard to keep going through this process. I’m writing today as a way to deal with the sadness in me…funnel it out and make use of the emotion…turning tears into rivers that will serve to carry my creativity in little ships of memories to the ocean that’s the Web.

Haha, I hope Baker reads that and groans ;)

See, I’m feeling better already.

I heard someone once call Beppu a transient town…a port so many people travel through on their journey. The rhythm of life here is constantly in a state of renewal and change…which means things can’t ever get dull as long as I’m living too. I guess I just have to learn to flow with the cycle of new arrivals and tearful departures…and then hold on to the friendships that are stable around me.

To those who have left, I wish you a safe journey home…may we meet again one day. And to those who will arrive soon, welcome to Beppu…I hope you brought your party hat.

じゃ またね!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hold onto the memories and all the experiences you shared with these friends. Such is the stuff of life and joy. They will never leave you because they are you.
Love always - Mom & Dad