Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oh! Sorry! Er, uh…wait…

So the other day I was shopping for a black jacket at a department store downtown (realized I didn’t have an appropriate light weight nice jacket and hoping to take advantage of any spring sales) when I had the urge to pee. Naturally my shopping experience was disrupted by this urge, so I decided to seek out the restroom. Have you ever noticed how the bathrooms at department stores are always WAY in the back corner and you have to follow all these signs around before finally finding it? Anyway, after a 5 mile trek through camping supplies, casual wear, and suits, I finally rounded the corner to the bathrooms. And what should jump out and scare me but… (look at picture below)

A naked family!

WHOA! was my first thought followed by me mumbling, “Oh! Sorry! Er, uh…wait…” Yes, for a moment I actually thought these out of work mannequins were a real family having a private moment in the back of the store (hey it’s Japan…a lot of weird things have happened here).

Their pose was so natural and lifelike. The man turning to his wife and asking her thoughts on dinner while she stares off thinking about the upcoming PTA meeting…all the while their little son giggling about being naked in public. The lighting, their composition, and the whole scene was just beautiful…and gave me a good chuckle. Whoever put them there must have thought, “This is going to rock! All those patrons coming to bathroom are going to appreciate my mannequin family. Matsumoto san may not want you out on the floor, but I will give you new life here.” Well department store employee, I do appreciate it. Arigatou.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ah... childhood memories.

wait! what?