Thursday, April 23, 2009

In these times…

I’m frustrated. I’m angry. I’m depressed. I consider ever dollar I spend and stress that my bank account is gradually decreasing. I’m tired. I’m anxious. I’m unemployed.

Everyone knows someone looking for work…a lot of you are probably looking for work yourselves. The sucky economy has hit so many and it’s hard to keep going when you face so many closed doors.

I worked as an usher yesterday at an event at Columbia University. I heard about it through a friend and was excited to have a reason to put on a suit and earn some cash. Most of my fellow ushers were also unemployed and we shared a mutual pain of rejection. We’ve all sent out multiple resumes (ranging from as few as 10 to as many as 50) and had an interview or two that ultimately resulted in a NO and maybe a bit more life experience.

Some will say struggling through this makes us stronger, builds some character and gives us a chance to grow and learn. Also it means we have free time to do all the things we normally couldn’t do! But then again, money really is a tool we need to do those things.

Today is a hard day and I don’t know what tomorrow will bring. I watch my inbox for interview invites and hope something will break. I consider increasingly drastic methods for finding jobs…and remind myself that I would make a valuable addition to any company.

I go on…continue the search, continue the fight, and hold on to hope.

My name is Justin. I want to start a career in non-profit and international relations. I’m a highly adaptable and positive person with demonstrated success in challenging environments. I believe in creating a better world and that we have the ability to do that right now. Let me hear from you.

2 comments:

leesean said...

Sorry to hear about the job. I'm glad the ushering thing worked out though. How was the event?

Angelo said...

Like you yourself say, you don't know what tomorrow will bring...
It's not easy, but the good news will come.