Thursday, August 03, 2006

Beginnings and Endings

The cyclical nature of life, its beginnings and endings, is a familiar aspect of the human experience and we are familiar with this concept from the first time we hear a bedtime story that beings with “once upon a time” and ends with “and they live happily ever after.” Our lives are balanced by birth and death and throughout life we go through a series of new beginnings and final farewells. Here in Japan, I’m going through one of those moments right now and I decided that writing about it would be a good way to process my thoughts.

Last week I celebrated my one year anniversary of being in Japan and while this date brought me a sense of accomplishment and stability, it also made me feel a bit sad and nervously uncertain (oh the dichotomy). You see, me starting my second year in Japan means that there are those who are finishing their time here and thus I must say good bye to folks who are bound for their home countries around the globe. My story goes on in Japan, but others must pick up and set out on the next part of their own personal epics. Beginnings and endings…

Two of my best friends who are departing these shores are U.K. citizens Ben and Steph. Over the past year we’ve (plus Isabel too) spent a lot of time together from wild nights out to quiet evenings in. We’ve drunk together, discussed literature and society, shot each other in the head, enjoyed various TV shows and films, eaten fabulous meals, sat naked together in onsens, and even sent armies against one another in attempts to rule the world. Together with dear Isabel, Ben and Steph made Japan familiar and comforting…bringing invaluable friendship to me.

To them, and others who have ended their time here in Japan, I wish you well. You will be missed and always remembered…and know that while our stories mixed here, you had a profound impact on me.

To those who remain in Japan, and those who have just arrived here, know that we have an epic waiting to unfold…and I am eager for the adventure.

And to those awaiting my return back home, be comforted that I’ll be home soon…for a year goes by in a flash.

Love to all.


(Steph and Ben at Usa Shrine…walking off into the sunset)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is a journey and its important to remember to enjoy and experience all you can on the journey for this life does pass in the appointed time. Have a great and wonderful new year, seeking and serving, in your home away from home.
Love and see you soon - Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Those look like 2 awsome guys, especially that dude ben. I'm sure people's lives out there will be immesurably poorer without his wit and wisdom.