Saturday, August 26, 2006

(remaining 5 of the) Top Ten reasons why I heart Japan

Here is the other half of the Ten reasons. Vote for your favorite!


Cute dogs with owls on their heads. Japan is full of cute little dogs and on this pet shop sign in Tokyo it appears one can also buy owls to go with the little dogs. Maybe a bad idea since an owl could eat some of the dogs.


Kakigori (shaved ice with flavoring and milk…and in this case, sweet beans too). Kakigori is like a snow cone, but better! Found mostly in the summer, kakigori has become one of my favorite ways to stay cool in the heat. Don’t knock the use of milk with the ice.


Isabel and RISK. This particular moment in RISK marked one of the most aggressive—and perhaps most insane—military maneuvers ever recorded in RISK history. Isabel’s yellow army forces (yellow as in the pieces were yellow, not that her soldiers were Asian) swept out on all sides and captured territories seemingly at random. The end result was a shaken world and Isabel gazing out across it as a proud empress.


Black curry. Almost every week I make a trip to Coco Curry and enjoy a large plate of Japanese style curry. The selection is vast and this plate is one of their summer specials. The dark color is from the ink of a squid and I was careful to include a spoon in the photo so you would realize it’s food.


Mist covered mountains. I drive this road all the time and I’ve seen this particular mountain in all sorts of moods. On this rainy day the clouds gathered all around and made me think of Samurai Jack on his journey to destroy the shape-shifting master of evil, Aku. Then the farmer behind me honked his horn so I’d keep driving.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Curry! I vote for Curry!

Probably just because your comment about the spoon made me snort.

Anonymous said...

Our vote goes to Mist in the Mountains - we like the mountains and it reminds us of the Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina and all the family trips along the Parkway. The small animals were a close second. Love - Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

I second the vote for the curry. I eat everything, but I must draw the line at black squid ink sauce. That and uni. I think there's a Japanese word for that - kimoi, right? haha