Monday, August 21, 2006

Ka’Plah! (that’s Klingon for “success”)


Cost of toll roads to and from the Oita-ken Driver’s License Center – 4,600 yen

Driving test and course fees – 9,000 yen

Driving lessons early on a Saturday morning – 23,000 yen

Total cost – 36,000 yen (about $350)

Passing the insane Japanese driver’s test on the second try – freakin’ priceless, baby.


It was a long and annoying road…but thanks to the support and guidance of friends and family I was able to pass the various tests and get my Japanese driver’s license on par with the Oita-ken ALT record (2 times, set by Jessica Browning). Now I can zoom around my Japanese inaka home with reckless abandon. AND I got some way cool decals to show everyone that I’m a “new driver”. Whatever.

7 comments:

Oldmarrieds said...

OH MY GOSH! That is too awesome! Go Justin! CONGRATS! Enjoy driving with reckless abandon - or nice and slow like the locals, whatever suits your fancy :)

Lisa said...

yay!!! awesome! i took that picture :) I really think you should leave those stickers on. they make me smile.

Don't forget to remind grandpa to use his seatbelt!

Anonymous said...

Excellent News! Knew you would succeed. We all feel much better now. Hope you can keep the driver's license as a keepsake. Looks really cool. Congratulations again!
Love - Mom & Dad

Oldmarrieds said...

One question:

What are the stickers?

Ok, another question:

Do they warn those around you that you've only had your license for a few hours?

What's the deal? Do they have Hello Kitty on them?
(sorry, I couldn't stick to just one question)

Joel Swagman said...

I passed on the second try as well. Although I did take driving lessons just like you. Only for one day, but maybe there is a conspiracy

namabiru said...

WHAT??? No way yo, there's no way I've got the record for fewest times...
Glad you passed--it's a great feeling isn't it?
Cheers,
Namabiru aka Jess
http://namabiru.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats, random person on the Internet, it's Qapla' though...